Monday, October 27, 2008

Sick as a.....Dog?!?


I always wondered where the term sick as a dog came from. So being the investigative person I am I looked it up. According to my sources** the term was first recorded in 1705, it is probably an attempt to give a good push to a strongly worded statement of physical unhappiness. It was attached to a dog, I would guess, because dogs often seem to have been connected to things that were considered unpleasant. Down the years they have had an incredibly bad press, (think of dog tired, dog’s breakfast, go to the dogs, dog Latin — big dictionaries have long entries about all the ways that dog has been used in a negative sense)...
I wasn't really satisfied with my findings I guess I figured I would bump into some elaborate story about a dog who had a rediculous amount of sicknesses and spread them around to people until he was totally healed or some thing. LOL...So why have I been pondering this expression lately, well because I have been sick as a dog lately. I rather not go into details but acouple of ignored health problems lead to my being in the hospital for two day last week with an infection attacking my blood. I was pumped with pain pills and antibiotics for a couple of days and sent of my not-so-merry way. So for the rest of the week and weekend I have have been recovering. I finally returned to class today after missing a couple of days and im starting to feel like the old me but the past week will not leave my memory any time soon. In the midst of everything else that has been going on I have neglected my health and greatly paid the price. Oh but there will be plenty more price to pay once these hospital bills darken my doorstep. Well on the brightside Wal-mart called me, eventhough I wasn't home at the time. I definately plan on calliong them back today, because I need a job horribly maybe then I can start paying my many many bills and random crap I need to pay for or off. Somewhere out there my silver lining is starting to twinkle. Just a little bit.

Sick as a person trying their hardest not to be sick,
Tay lin

1 comment:

Angie said...

Sick as you dogs ears? LOL